Solar Rebate Information
What is the Australian Government Solar Rebate?
Solar panel rebates have been introduced by the Australian Government in an effort to encourage more people to install solar power systems. These rebates come in the form of Small Scale Technology Energy Certificates (STC’s).
- STCs are an electronic form of currency that are allocated to you when you install a solar power system.
- One STC is equivalent to one megawatt-hour of electricity generated by your solar power system.
- The price of STCs changes according to market conditions.
- The total level of rebate you receive will depend on a number of factors including the market price of the STCs at the time the solar power system is installed.
There are two ways that you can be paid for your STCs:
- You can assign your STCs to your chosen solar installer when you purchase a solar PV system in exchange for an upfront discount on the total system cost (most consumers claim their solar rebate via this option).
- You can also create the STCs yourself by finding a buyer and then selling and transferring the STCs into the Renewable Energy Certificate (REC) Registry.
Solar Rebate – How much will you save?
The rate of your upfront solar rebate varies depending on your location, the size of the solar power system that you are planning on installing and the current market price of the STC’s. Australia has been divided up into various zones depending on how much renewable energy that can be generated by a solar panel in a particular location (see the map to the right for reference).
This means that you will receive more STC’s and therefore a higher upfront solar rebate for a solar power system installed in Townsville & Rockhampton (Zone 1), then you would in for the same size system installed in Hobart and Melbourne (Zone 4). We have put together the following table that shows the value of the upfront solar rebate that could be available to you on solar power systems installed in the major capital cities of Australia.
Solar Rebates available
|LOCATION||SYSTEM SIZE||STC ENTITLEMENT||TOTAL REBATE|
|BRISBANE||3kW||62||$2170 (62 STCs X $35)|
|SYDNEY||3kW||62||$2170 (62 STCs X $35)|
|MELBOURNE||3kW||53||$1855 (53 STCs X $35)|
|PERTH||3kW||62||$2170 (62 STCs X $35)|
|ADELAIDE||3kW||62||$2170 (62 STCs X $35)|
|HOBART||3kW||53||$1855 (53 STCs X $35)|
|CANBERRA||3kW||62||$2170 (62 STCs X $35)|
|DARWIN||3kW||69||$2415 (69 STCs X $35)|
*Please note that these figures are based on a system size of 3kW and an STC market rate of $35 (this is an approximate rate and the current STC price will vary). Larger solar power systems are entitled to a larger solar rebate!
In addition to the upfront solar rebate, homeowners are also entitled to a solar feed in tariff. This feed in tariff means that you are paid for the excess electricity you don’t use from your solar system and ‘export’ back to the electricity grid.